I was at Anime Boston a few weekends ago, but haven’t had a chance to update since I was traveling afterwards. My friends and I were cosplay masquerade judges this year and it was a great experience that we hope to repeat (and improve) next year. Since we were stuck in a room judging for most of Saturday, I only have pictures from Friday photoshoots to share.
Lately, I have thought a lot about the concept of dolls growing up. I’ve found that my dolls are continuously changing and developing– sometimes subtly, sometimes dramatically. The changes are often both wonderful and sad.
Those who frequent the blog will recognize this face. I was lucky to have obtained this DoT M. Kaillar head with the original limited company faceup in December, and finally put him together. He is now on a Domuya Flexi D1 Perennial boy body, making him the biggest of all my dolls. He doesn’t have much in the way of clothing yet, but really it’s just an excuse on my part to show off his beautifully detailed body.
A few days ago, I decided to sand and body blush Phoebe. I’ve chosen to give all my dolls this treatment, now that I feel confident that I will not completely ruin them by doing so.
That being said, I did actually manage to ruin Phoebe’s left hand by trying to heat adjust her fingers. A few minutes of being in the oven turned it an awful yellow and it started bubbling, which was damage that even sanding could not fix. Luckily, Dollmore sells these hands separately so it should be easy enough to get a replacement. Needless to say, I will not be trying that again!
The rest of the body blushing went acceptably well but not perfect. The weather was just windy and cold enough to show in the sealant (in the form of cracking and dust), so I will probably need to strip her down and reblush again in the future. I am not best friends with Mr. Super Clear.
In any case, here is a quick picture of my experimentation. I was torn for a long time over how to represent Phoebe’s wings, and I think is the ideal solution.
On an unrelated note, I have transferred the blog to a new template and it will probably be seeing other kinds of updates as well. This decision was prompted in part because the old template was too narrow to fit large pictures, especially in landscape. I also felt the blog has moved more towards BJDs these days and its appearance should reflect that. I hope that nobody is disappointed by the changes and I’m always open to suggestions of course!
2012 is almost here, but I thought I’d sneak in one more post before I say farewell to 2011!
After finding that his old eyes were difficult to photograph, I decided on a whim to get Oliver a new pair of eyes– in glittering gold. I think the eyes are perfect and Oliver seems happier too!
It’s been a long time since I last posted, but not for a lack of activity or photography. With the lack of sunlight (leaving before the sun rises, getting home after sunset) I have just found it difficult to put in the effort to involve my dolls in a photoshoot. But I did manage to take Lorelyn and Ember out of the house today for their annual Christmas pictures, and I’ve uploaded some other pictures I’ve taken over the past few months, as well.
Hurricanes (huuuurrrrr-icanes) have been passing by us left and right, which means that we have had an unusual amount of rain over the past few weeks. Mushrooms love the moist climate and are popping up left and right. There was a particularly large one for which I braved the nasty bugs to do a quick photoshoot.